Communicating for Influence
Time to strengthen their diplomacy muscles!
Communicating for Influence uses interactive activities to help team members know how to connect with different types of audiences, and use empathy and mutual understanding to shape their message to connect with—and influence—their audience more effectively.
Delivered over two to three 2-hour virtual sessions on Zoom, with a week in between sessions. This allows time between for team members to put what they learned into practice with some mini-experiments.
Who This is For
Communicating for Influence is especially useful for
- Technical types, scientists, researchers, academics, or anyone who tends to use a lot of jargon in their work
- People who need to make complex or technical ideas accessible to others
- Anyone who could use improvement in engaging and influencing colleagues
Communicating for Influence Helps Team Members:
In both the 2-session and 3-session version:
- Develop effective strategies for engaging and influencing colleagues
- Demonstrate an understanding of different audiences
- Apply empathy to communicate more effectively
- Construct an audience-centered message based on mutual understanding
- Identify a non-adversarial, constructive tone vs. an adversarial, destructive one
In the 3-session version:
- Speak from (and hence empathize with) both sides of an issue)
- Use deep listening to find understanding within disagreement
- Practice gathering a group of people around a single idea
Click the button below to schedule a time to discuss how I can customize Communicating for Influence for your team.
I was skeptical that a virtual “offsite” was even worth doing, certainly one that involved “play” for my team, but Melissa proved that it can work. The Communicating for Influence workshop she created for my research team was great at teaching key skills while at the same time being fun! I have already seen my team using these tools in their day to day work. Melissa was easy to work with, and knows how to design and facilitate an impactful program. I have already recommended her to my colleagues at Facebook, and will continue to do so.
Melissa’s “Communicating for Influence” program was an impactful, refreshing change from “typical” team education sessions. We saw deep engagement and real learning through the highly interactive and very fun activities. It’s a unique offering totally designed for this challenging video meeting age we’re in, and maximizes the possibilities of the medium. Customizing the course with Melissa was a wonderful process – she was so collaborative and focused on the results we needed.
Let me custom-design a workshop for your team!
I specialize in designing transformational experiences to meet my clients’ needs. Click the button below to tell me a bit about what you’re looking for, and let’s hop on a call.