Communicating for Influence
Your team is smart, but if they can’t communicate their ideas, influence others, and build mutual understanding, all that brainpower is going to waste.
Time to strengthen their diplomacy muscles!
Communicating for Influence uses interactive activities to help team members know how to connect with different types of audiences, and use empathy and mutual understanding to shape their message to connect with—and influence—their audience more effectively.
Delivered over three 2-hour virtual sessions on Zoom, with a week in between sessions. This allows time between for team members to put what they learned into practice with some mini-experiments.
(Oh, and people consistently say these sessions are the most fun meetings they’ve attended all year!)
Who This is For
Initially developed for high-performance research teams at a Fortune 100 Company, Communicating for Influence is especially useful for
- Highly matrixed organizations
- Organizations with primarily cross-functional teams (multiple capabilities collaborate as a project team)
- Researchers, data scientists, academics, technical types, or anyone with highly specialized expertise that can be inaccessible to colleagues (anyone who tends to use a lot of jargon in their work!)
- Complex or highly regulated industries
- Professionals who need to make complex or technical ideas accessible to others to influence outcomes
Communicating for Influence Helps Team Members:
- Develop effective strategies for engaging and influencing any colleague
- Employ research & insights storytelling for maximum engagement & impact
- Gather & inspire a diverse group around a single idea
- Demonstrate an understanding of different audiences & stakeholders as well as their needs & motivations
- Apply empathy to communicate more effectively in any situation
- Construct an impactful, audience-centered message based on mutual understanding
- Identify a non-adversarial, constructive tone vs. an adversarial, destructive one
- Demonstrate the ability to speak from (and hence empathize with) both sides of an issue
- Use active listening to find productive understanding and common ground within disagreement
Grab a Brochure!
Looking for an easy way to tell your manager about Communicating for Influence? Click the orange cover for our downloadable web brochure!
Click the button below to schedule a time to discuss how I can deliver Communicating for Influence to your team.
I was skeptical that a virtual “offsite” was even worth doing, certainly one that involved “play” for my team, but Melissa proved that it can work. The Communicating for Influence workshop she created for my research team was great at teaching key skills while at the same time being fun! I have already seen my team using these tools in their day to day work. Melissa was easy to work with, and knows how to design and facilitate an impactful program. I have already recommended her to my colleagues at Facebook, and will continue to do so.
Melissa’s “Communicating for Influence” program was an impactful, refreshing change from “typical” team education sessions. We saw deep engagement and real learning through the highly interactive and very fun activities. It’s a unique offering totally designed for this challenging video meeting age we’re in, and maximizes the possibilities of the medium. Customizing the course with Melissa was a wonderful process – she was so collaborative and focused on the results we needed.
Let me custom-design a workshop for your team!
I specialize in designing transformational experiences to meet my clients' needs. Click the button below to tell me a bit about what you're looking for, and let's hop on a call.